BULUSAN, Sorsogon. 8Jan2015 – With a little over a month to go, the Society officially announced Sunday the unveiling of the historical marker from the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) at the town’s Spanish-time fortress, Punta Diamante in the morning of February 7, 2015.
The marker was originally requested for this stone fortress that encloses the Roman Catholic Parish Church of St. James the Greater, this historic town.
It was however, finally agreed through a series of consultations and negotiations between the NHCP and the Society, that it would be fitting to include the old town’s other baluartes which could be traced back to around the years 1799 and 1844, – points in the town’s history which produced the readily-available oldest-existing primary sources in support of these structures.
The formal invitations are to be released soon. Roughly, the day shall follow a three-part program.
First part would be a concelebrated mass with the town’s parish priest and vicar, homecoming Bulusanon priests, and possibly His Excellency, Sorsogon Bishop Arturo M. Bastes, S.V.D., D.D.
Second part would be the unveiling proper with the formal turnover of the marker from the NHCP to the parish.
Third part would be a simple luncheon in celebration of this historic event.
Expected to be present to witness the simple ceremonies would be at least one officer and other representatives from the NHCP, historians, local government officials, and heads of various non-government organizations, among others.