PHL now ready for subway system, DOTC says

0
97

By Kris M. Crismundo

MANILA, 19Sept2013 – With the traffic situation in Metro Manila, the government is now thinking of a subway system within the key cities.

Department of Transportation and Communication (DOTC) Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya said during the Philippine Economic Briefing Tuesday that the country is now ready for a subway system as its population grows and technologies are made available.

Abaya also mentioned that it is now time for a subway line in Metro Manila since the area has limited road and air space for another light rail system.

There are three major railways system within Metro Manila: the Light Rail Transit (LRT) Line 1 which connects Roosevelt in the north and Baclaran in southern Manila; LRT 2 linking Recto, Manila and Santolan, Pasig; and the Metro Rail Transit (MRT) 3 connecting North Edsa and Taft Avenue.

Another railway system is the Philippine National Railways (PNR) which links Manila to province of Bicol.

On the other hand, Metro Manila is also congested with skyway and cloverleaf road systems.

However, the department still considers to build a skyway connecting northern and southern parts of Luzon.

Thus passengers and vehicles going directly to those two points will no longer pass EDSA.

The DOTC chief also mentioned that 70 percent of the population of Metro Manila take public transportation while the remaining 30 percent have their own private vehicles.

Although, the 30 percent population who use their private vehicles occupy the 70 percent of the total roads in the metro.

Meanwhile, infrastructure project is one of the priorities of the current administrations as poor infrastructure system is regarded as a major problem of investors, and even local commuters.

The government is also strengthening infrastructure projects through public-private partnerships. (PNA)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.