MANILA (11-Dec-2012/PNA) – The death toll from tropical cyclone “Pablo” continued to climb, reaching 714 as of Tuesday morning, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said.
In its update, the NDRRMC said the number of injured people also rose to 1,906 while 890 others remained missing and 110 persons have been rescued.
Of the total number of fatalities, 457 had been identified while 257 remained unidentified.
The biggest number of dead totaling 663 was reported from Region 11 (Davao Region). The rest included 14 in Region 10 (Northern Mindanao), 14 in the Caraga Region, 11 in Region 7 (Central Visayas), four in Region 12 (Soccskargen), three in Region 8 (Eastern Visayas), three in Region 4-B (Mimaropa) and one each in Region 9 (Zamboanga Peninsula) and Region 6 (Western Visayas).
The NDRRMC said “Pablo” had affected 486,554 families or 5,408,900 people in 1,926 villages in 249 towns and 37 cities in 30 provinces.
They were in Region 4-B (Mimaropa), Region 6 (Western Visayas), Region 7 (Central Visayas), Region 8 (Eastern Visayas), Region 9 (Zamboanga Peninsula), Region 10 (Northern Mindanao), Region 11 (Davao Region), Region 12 (Soccskargen) and Caraga.
Of the figure, 65,941 families or 308,110 people are being served inside and outside the 134 evacuation centers.
The disaster agency also said the damage caused by Pablo went up to P7.116 billion, as damages to infrastructure and agriculture continued to be reported. The amount was broken down as P3,479,131,300 in infrastructure, P3,618,868,247.07 in agriculture, and P18,388,493 in private properties.
At least 20 bridges and nine roads remain impassable, while six areas are experiencing interruption of water supply.
The estimated cost of assistance for affected families was pegged at P55,27 million: the Department of Social and Welfare Development (DSWD) has allocated P25,098,232.95, LGUs has P19,328,994.53; Department of Health (DOH)has P7,206,431.23; NGOs/other GOs P139,958.00 and NDRRMC has P3,505,706.93.
Meanwhile, Philippine National Police chief Director General Nicanor Bartolome went to the Compostela Valley area and to other parts of the Visayas and Mindanao to check on PNP personnel affected by Pablo.
Bartolome assured the affected police personnel of assistance.
He said despite the affected police personnel’s plight, they still took part in search, rescue and relief operations for other victims of Pablo. (PNA)