By Edwin O. Fernandez
BULUAN, Maguindanao 923-Nov-2012PNA) – Maguindanao Governor Esmael Mangudadatu believes he was the target of the road side bomb planted while they are going to the site of the Maguindanao massacre in Maguindanao province on Friday.
“Very clear that the bomb was intended for me and my convoy,” Mangudadatu told reporters.
Mangudadatu’s convoy had just passed by the welcome rotunda of Isulan, Sultan Kudarat when police received a tip from a concerned citizens about an abandoned motorcycle parked at a roadside where the governor’s convoy of vehicles was to pass at 9 a.m. Friday.
Senior Supt. Rolen Balquin, Sultan Kudarat police director, said the Bajaj Red motorbike with license plate 8571 YS was registered to Christopher Pangki in Kidapawan City Land Transportation Office but carries a SIKPAW sticker issued in Isulan, Sultan Kudarat.
SIKPAW stickers are issued by the Philippine National Police (PNP) to authenticate the vehicle is registered with them.
Balquin said the motorbike carried four mortars, two 60-mm and two 81-mm mortars, with mobile phone as trigger mechanism.
Army and police bomb experts said the cellphone failed to trigger the main charge thus it did not explode.
Mangudadatu has survived several roadside bomb attacks since he became provincial governor in 2010, the latest of which was in Tacurong City last year where a Maguindanao provincial board member and his son were killed.
Mangudadatu appealed to the court trying the Maguindanao massacre case to render speedy justice as the victims commemorate the Nov. 23, 2009 carnage on Friday. (PNA)