LIBON, Albay – The distribution of relief goods for hundreds of families evacuated in Albay due to storm “Bebeng” was hampered by landslides that prevented military trucks from passing through a road section in Barangay Talin-Talin in this town Sunday.
The Albay Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (APDRRMC) launched an emergency clearing operation by government heavy equipment in coordination with the regional office of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).
There have been no reports of deaths due to landslides or floods anywhere in the province, so far maintaining Albay’s zero-casualty goals during disaster events.
“We have coordinated with the Department of Public Works and Highways-Bicol for road clearing in Talin-Talin to facilitate passage of trucks carrying relief foods and water purifiers to different parts of the west coasts of Libon, Oas and Pio Duran,” Albay Governor Joey Salceda said Sunday noon.
Loaders and chain saws were also sent to Pio Duran town to clear the roads leading to Naga City of fallen trees.
The Albay Provincial Health Office (APHO) is closely monitoring all evacuation centers to ensure safe drinking water for the evacuees.
Dr. Luis Domingo Mendoza, provincial health officer, said APHO personnel are doing their best to prevent possible water contamination and the outbreak of diseases.
Meanwhile, the APDRRMC ordered the deployment of a Navy rescue team to locate a five-year-old girl who was reported missing in Zone 5, Libon, Albay by Libon Mayor Agnes Dycoco.
“The rescue operation is still ongoing and we hope to find the missing child alive,” Salceda said.
A separate rescue team has been dispatched to Daraga, Albay by the Provincial Safety and Emergency Management Office, in coordination with the Office of Civil Defense, to locate a 58-year-old woman who was reported missing there. (PNA)