Youth group on peace talks: address roots of poverty, armed conflict | BICOL TODAY

Youth group on peace talks: address roots of poverty, armed conflict

President Rodrigo Duterte and CPP Founding Chairman Jose Maria Sison. Photo from Facebook

MANILA, 9April2018 — Youth group Anakbayan welcomed the prospect of the resumption of peace talks between the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) and the Government of the Republic of the Philippines (GRP) following President Rodrigo Duterte’s order to the government peace panel on April 4 to work on the reboot of the peace negotiations which he abruptly terminated November last year.

“We express support to the resumption of the peace process toward a just and lasting peace for the Filipino people. Consequently, we urge the government peace panel to seriously tackle and address the roots of poverty and armed conflict and pick up from the substantive agreements forged during the previous rounds of the peace talks more than anything else,” said Einstein Recedes, Anakbayan Secretary-General.

Recedes noted that the peace process was stalled amid the drafting of the Comprehensive Agreement on Socio-Economic Reforms (CASER) which outlines plans for national industrialization and genuine agrarian reform, among other people’s democratic demands.

“The peace talks must be about free distribution of land to marginalized farmers, setting up of national industries that generate decent jobs to workers, and provision of social services to every citizen, rather than about forcing the surrender of revolutionary forces without addressing the roots of armed conflict just like what the Duterte regime showed during the previous rounds of the peace negotiation,” he stressed.

The youth leader also reiterated the people’s demand to release all political prisoners and called for the junking of the terrorist listing of more than 600 individuals, which include progressives and critics of the administration, to signify sincerity in resuming peace talks.

He likewise insisted that amid the prospect of continuing the peace process, the Duterte regime must be held accountable for its atrocities against the Filipino people.

“The peace talks must also look into the human rights abuses committed by the regime. State forces continued to sow terror across the country and even intensified their fascist campaign after the termination of the peace talks through martial law in Mindanao, all-out counterinsurgency operations, and the bloody war on drugs,” Recedes said.

“Unless the Duterte regime commits to upholding people’s democratic rights, this gesture will be nothing but mere theatrics to prod the regime’s image amid widespread condemnation on its bloody human rights records and corrupt rule,” he added.

Posted by on April 9, 2018. Filed under Nation,Top Stories. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *