64% drop in firecracker injuries seen in Bicol | BICOL TODAY

64% drop in firecracker injuries seen in Bicol

By Mar Serrano, PNA

LEGAZPI CITY — At least 49 people, including 24 children, sustained injuries due to firecrackers, the Department of Health (DOH) in Bicol said Tuesday.

DOH sentinels reported that these victims were rushed to various hospitals in the region on December 26, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.

The DOH also recorded two wounded victims of stray bullets in Camarines Norte.

The DOH’s Action Paputok Injury Reduction (APIR) unit said the number of victims is 64 percent lower than the 77 cases recorded last year.

Jaime Guerrero, DOH APIR program coordinator, in an interview, said that 49 percent of the victims were minors with ages ranging from 6-12 with “Piccolo” as the leading injury-causing firecracker.

He said Albay remained at the top with 27 cases followed by Camarines Sur-12, Camarines Norte-6, Sorsogon -2, Masbate 2, and Catanduanes -0.

As of 6 a.m. Monday, the health department in Bicol said all of the victims were “active igniters” of firecrackers. Out of the total number of those injured, 44 were males and five were females.

Aside from Piccolo other products banned are firecrackers with large amount of explosive powder contents like the Goodbye Philippines, Bin Laden, Atomic Triangulo, Super Bawang, Super Lolo, and 5-Star.

Posted by on January 5, 2018. Filed under Bicol News,Top Stories. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *